Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Running!

Well I thought to post some Josh’isms. A few posts of me just writing about what’s on my mind….my two cents so to say. I enjoy writing. I realize I am not that good at it. Megan mocks my grammar on a weekly basis and is quick to point out my writing errors, but I won’t get better without working on it right? So its been one of my goals to write more, hence me taking over the journal.

Running!!

At some point during most races I’ve ever run, I hit a dark patch where I start to question my sanity. I even question my own strength. I question my resolve to finish and even fantasize about riding to the finish line in a comfy stretcher, waving to all the other runners stupid enough to finish on foot.

Interestingly, when I tell people I don’t love to run, many are surprised. It seems that a lot of people think that since I run so much, I must love every moment. Each stride is met with gorgeous vistas, beautiful women and fast cars.

Not really.

Running is hard. Running often hurts. Running makes me tired. But that’s what I love about it.

There’s a certain satisfaction I get from facing down a challenge and conquering it, pushing my body to its limits. I imagine this is the same motivation that spurs adventurists to climb Mount Everest or swim the English Channel. I am not a swimmer and Everest just looks cold and miserable, but I get the motivation

But running? I can do that.

Distance running, in a sense, is a microcosm of life. The start is easy…time fly’s by just as miles fly by at the start of a race. You may hit a couple rough patches as a teen ager as your feet might start to ache in a race a little bit into it. There are times you feel on top of the world and other times you want to curl up and cry. Sometimes you are motivated to work hard and push it and other times you are searching for motivation. There are memories along the way, people you remember, challenges overcome and different triumphs. Its always great to see family and have support and there is a lot of work that goes into both.

Exercising is a physical, daily reminder to me that I am strong enough to do hard things. This reminder gives me confidence to tackle other challenges in my life that may have previously scared me off. I know if I face those obstacles that are making my life uncomfortable, I will come out the other end stronger and more self-assured.

So, I will continue to seek out the hills that make my legs stronger. I will tackle the long runs that shore up my endurance. I will embrace the pain that comes with the weekly track sprint workouts that make me faster. And I will do all of this because it’s the hurt that makes me the runner and person that I am.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Great post Josh!! I find myself asking the same questions when I am in the middle of a really hard crossfit work out. I get it.

Lisa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.