Wednesday, February 3, 2010

OUCH!

We had our first traumatizing parent moment back in January. Sorry for the graphic pics but I wanted to document it! I was putting Savannah to bed (so it was dark) and she was opening and closing her dresser drawers. She was pulling really hard on one particular knob and the knob flew off and she flung back. She was crying unusually hard but I didn't think much of it because she was tired and the knobs of her dresser come off sometimes. I calmed her down quickly and put her in her crib. A couple hours later when I was getting ready for bed I noticed I had blood on my shirt! I thought maybe Sav bit her tongue or something but it couldn't have been too bad because she fell asleep easily. At this point I was starting to feel guilty that I had downplayed her fall. So when she woke up at 1 am I ran in her room curious to see what really happened...this is what I found...



I WAS FREAKING OUT! Savannah was all bloody too. I still thought something had happened to her mouth, but we soon found a nasty cut on her finger. I looked at the knob to find half of it still stuck to the dresser with jagged edges. An 18 month old baby was able to break a glass knob off her IKEA dresser in half?! I wanted to rush her to the ER or after hours clinic, but Josh thought he would wrap it and she would be just fine. After an hour of scrubbing blood out of her room...Sav was acting normal. I put her back to bed at 2:30 and she went right down. I didn't get much sleep that night. I couldn't stop thinking about the whole situation...that I was rocking my poor baby right after it happened, her finger dripping with blood and I innocently put her in her crib. What a horrible mother...if only I had seen what had really happened! I was up early calling a sub and the doctor. We went in and found out that she should have probably gotten stitches, but it was too late. He decided to put 3 loose stitches in to help it recover a little faster. SO, they strapped her down in the papoose and began the procedure. It was awful..my poor baby was being tortured and the was nothing I could do about it. It makes me sick just thinking about it. She fell asleep on the way home and has acted fine ever since! That night she was even trying to put her finger puppets on her little bandaged finger! Savannah has been such a trooper...here she is before the stitches...

and after the stitches...

AND this has been her cute face throughout the whole ordeal...


We have called IKEA. The dresser and its knobs were already on recall for same exact thing. Go figure! New knobs are on their way. They are hopefully paying the bills as well. As traumatizing as this all was, I am so grateful for a happy, healthy baby. I have heard the most awful stories about families and their children this past month and am so lucky we just have to deal with a hurt finger!

Many more posts to come...I am falling behind!

17 comments:

Sarah said...

oh my gosh! I still can't believe all the blood. You are a wonderful mom, those things just happen. True, you are super lucky to have such a brave little girl. Hope to see you guys again soon!

Eric, Sammy, & Kami said...

Poor baby and poor mommy. That looks soooo painful. What a brave girl.

Megan and Mike said...

i cannot believe how much blood there was... how sad!! what a little trooper

Lane and Katie Eyre said...

Poor girl! I can't believe a knob did that to her!!

I agree with the others- you are a good mom, those things just happen!

Karin said...

Aaahhh! My husband probably would have passed out so good thing it was you and not me! She's so cute with that big grin.

Josh n' Joni said...

Holy cow! Her room looks like you should've called CSI. I'm glad I don't have that same dresser...
I'm glad she's okay! Cute Savannah, with a great big grin.

ErinB said...

Super scary! I'm glad she is doing well.

Leslie said...

Meg, you are not a bad mom! Things happen! I can't believe how much blood a little finger could have. I am so glad that she is ok!

the Chidesters said...

I can't believe the room! I'm sorry you had to go through that. It gave me flashbacks of our stitches experience last January. I'm so glad kids are tougher than we think!

Adrienne said...

What the gore? This post was morbid! I hate seeing blood strewn all over the crib! Poor Savannah! (And poor you having to clean it up!) And Josh was too cheap to make an ER visit. haha. I don't blame him. Forget what all these people say. You are a bad mom. Just kidding my friend. Maddie totally smashed her finger in the door this morning. We can't avoid these things.
p.s. Can't wait to see you this weekend! Maddie's sad you're not bringing her friend.

Maren said...

Poor Savannah! I'm glad she's okay now. For what it's worth from your childless cousin, I think you're a good mom. :)

Lisa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisa said...

Holy moly! Poor thing. that is a bit tramatizing! glad you guys are okay!

hey so I left you a message after you called me. ....??

Georgia Josies said...

That is SO sad!!! Isn't that the worst when stuff like that happens???!!! You feel like such a piece of hud when stuff like that happens!!(whatever hud is??)Get out here to GA girl!!! Miss you guys!!

Charlie and Ryan said...

Okay, now I know why you were still upset about this at bunco. That was a lot of blood! Glad that it turned out to be alright. She is a trooper. Can't wait to get her and Coop together at the pool this summer!

Scott & Christie Lamb said...

Oh my gosh!! It looks like someone was....murdered??? I hope she is doing much better! Poor little gal! ok...now can we get together?? When is good for you! Just let me know cuz I'm in need of some serious megs and josh time!!

Newton Party of FIVE. said...

ohhh NO! Poor Savannah. How scary that must have been to see that much blood. Glad she's okay! : )